Welcome to the PeakPerformanceGuru.com Blog

Learn and use the focus and motivational skills of Olympic and World Champions to achieve your business goals. www.peakperformanceguru.com

Oct 20, 2011

5 ways to improve productivity if your self-employed (or not).

The cool thing about being self-employed is you are your own boss - you don't have to answer to anyone other than your clients. You can make the rules about what work you do and when you do it.

The important thing is however that you actually need to be productive so you generate enough cash without burning yourself out and not being able to enjoy your lifestyle choices.

Here are 5 simple activities you can do to be more productive as a self-employed professional

1. Use your diary properly - I cluster my appointments with clients from the same franchise so I stay switched on to their businesses. I work from home and have done so for 23 years and now I hardly travel at all  because I meet my clients face to face using Skype.  I colour code my diary by client, personal, national and international activity. Once again it helps me to switch on to what I am going to be doing. I have used the same colours for 10 years now so it is a language to me and at a glance I know what space to get myself in.


2. Turn your email off for at least 2 hours a day so you can pick up the phone and make calls to clients or prospective clients. Clicking the send/receive button in your inbox will not grow your business.

3. When you are working on a new idea, service or 'value add' always ask this question - "is what I am doing a return on investment activity or a distraction"? Distractions are not productive so dump them. ROI activities make you money or get you business so put your energy here. 

4. Turn your cell phone off at lunch time and sit in the sun.  Being available all the time to your clients is slavery - you are not a slave. You are a valuable resource that needs to freshen up and energise so you can maximise your productivity and your value to your client.

5. When you are working on a project that needs your undivided attention put a sign on your door that says "I am psycho and will shoot in the big toe if you knock or open my door".  If you work at home it may be your kids who want to come in so be more softer about what you say e.g. "Only come in here if you don't want a 21st birthday". If it is your wife who wants to come in - are stupid - let her in of course. You get the idea.  Let people know you don't want to be disturbed.

There are more tips for you atwww.theknowledgestadium.com

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I really like what you've posted here and wish you the best of luck with this blog! Improve Productivity

    ReplyDelete